Update: Missing fisherman found dead at Yuba Lake identified

Yuba Lake. Photo: Google Maps

LEVAN, Juab County, April 4, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — A man who died after he and a companion’s boat capsized Sunday evening on Yuba Lake has been identified.

The Juab County Sheriff’s Office identified the man as Michael Skinner, 64, of Minersville, Utah, according to a news release. His body was recovered at about 6 p.m. Monday; his fishing companion, Cress Lorenzo, 64, was initially in critical condition, but has now been upgraded to stable.

Officials said the two men went fishing on Sunday and were expected to return by about 10 p.m.

When the men had not returned by Monday morning, police were asked to search. The Juab County Sheriff’s Office received a request for service through dispatch at 9 a.m. to check the welfare of the two overdue fishermen, a news release stated.

A sheriff’s deputy was dispatched to the location where he met with two family members of the men. Their truck, with attached trailer, was located in the parking lot at the Oasis boat ramp, but the boat was not on the trailer.

Because the men were overdue an estimated 12 hours, as well as the cold temperatures and wind conditions that were present at the park Sunday night, Search and Rescue teams
were called out.

Ground and boat Search and Rescue rescue teams from Juab County Sheriff, Sanpete County
Sheriff and Utah Parks and Recreation commenced a search on the lake and grounds throughout the perimeter. AirMed Juab County was also dispatched to assist with the search by air.

Lorenzo was located on the east shore of Yuba Lake and rescue members went to him. He was treated at his location for diabetic condition and hypothermia and was transported to Provo Hospital in critical condition.

Search efforts continued throughout the day, and scuba rescue and recovery teams from Juab, Sanpete and Wasatch Counties and the Utah Department of Public Safety were summoned to assist. At approximately 5:45 p.m., Utah Parks and Recreation officers and dive team members from Utah Department of Public Safety located Skinner,
drowned approximately 50 yards off shore from where Lorenzo was located. He was
located in approximately 15 feet of water.

In the investigation, it was determined that the boat had capsized Sunday evening at approximately 5 p.m. The men had life jackets available to them, but did not have them on at the time the boat capsized.

Lorenzo swam to the shore, but Skinner remained with boat.

Image: Google Maps


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here