Update: Mother who died in Washington City mobile home blaze identified

Tereasa L. Cox-Hurst and her daughter Adalynne Cox. Photo Courtesy: GoFundMe

WASHINGTON CITY, Utah, Dec. 12, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — A 27-year-old woman who died after being critically injured in a mobile home fire in Washington City last week has been identified.

The death toll from the Dec. 5 blaze now stands at three.

Tereasa L. Cox-Hurst, from Washington City, died Saturday night at University Medical Center in Las Vegas, according to police spokesman Ed Kantor. Her 3-year-old daughter, identified by family and friends as Adalynne Cox, died Wednesday, and neighbor Richard Kirkland, 60, who ran inside to try and save the pair, passed away last Monday night soon after the fire.

Investigators have established the probable origin of the fire to be inside the mobile home at the front part of the structure. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Police and fire crews from Washington City, Washington County and St. George were called to 434 E. Angie Lane about 7 p.m. on Dec. 5. When they arrived they found the home fully engulfed in flames.

Richard Kirkland. Photo Courtesy: GoFundMe
Richard Kirkland. Photo Courtesy: GoFundMe

Three people were pulled from the residence, including Kirkland. Witnesses said Kirkland ran inside the home to try and save the child and her mother, who were trapped inside.

Kirkland died Monday night after being taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center. The toddler and her mother were flown to University Medical Center.

GoFundMe accounts have been established in both Kirkland’s and Cox-Hurst’s names.

The family member that started the GoFundMe page for the mother and daughter posted a message before Tereasa passed away:

“Tereasa and A.J. (Adalynn Josephine) were in their home Monday night when a fire started. A man, a hero named Richard Kirkland, tried to pull Tereasa and 3-year-old A.J. from the fire. Richard passed away that night as Tereasa and A.J. were LifeFlighted to Las Vegas UMC Burn Center. Sadly, we lost little A.J. as her lungs were damaged from the smoke. Tereasa is still in critical condition and the prognosis is uncertain at this time. This family does not have any medical or life insurance.”

Kirkland’s family shared this story on their GoFundMe page:

“Richard Kirkland laid down his life for the safety of others. He bravely ran into a burning building to save a mother and her child, who were both LifeFlighted to Las Vegas in critical condition. Richard was a man who had his many ups and downs, but he always remained a very selfless man who especially loved children. He died doing exactly what he was known for: helping others without expectation.”

Kirkland’s funeral was held Saturday in St. George.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here