Dog put down after Midvale house fire

A pet dog had to be put down after being carried out of a Midvale home by a Unified firefighter and given oxygen therapy after a residential fire Tuesday afternoon. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLC Scanner

MIDVALE, Utah, July 10, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A pet dog had to be put down after being carried out of a Midvale home by a Unified firefighter and given oxygen therapy after a residential fire Tuesday afternoon.

Matthew McFarland, Unified Fire Authority spokesman, told Gephardt Daily between three and five occupants, as well as another dog, made it out of the home in the area of 597 W. 2nd Ave. without assistance after the fire broke out just after 2:50 p.m.

The injured dog had to be put down because of severe smoke inhalation, McFarland said.

The one-alarm fire was not visible from outside the home and was limited to one room, though other rooms have a “fair amount” of smoke damage, McFarland said.

Crews from UFA were joined by Murray and West Jordan Fire Departments. Twelve units, including fire trucks, engines, ambulances, and the Battalion Chief, responded to the incident.

The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damages.

McFarland said investigators are on scene, and the fire appears to be accidental, though there is no specific cause yet.

Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information is made available.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here