Fire Started By Barbecue Grill Quickly Destroys Sandy Home

A fire that started with a barbecue grill quickly spread to the deck and home causing $300,000 in damage. Photo Courtesy: Neighbor

SANDY, Utah, May 29, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — A home in Sandy was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon after the propane tank under a barbecue grill set the deck ablaze.

Sandy City Fire Battalion Chief Matt Stuebner said the fire started at approximately 3:30 p.m. at a home located at 8456 S. Grambling Way (1130 East).

“The homeowner said he was barbecuing in his backyard and just changed out his propane bottle, and when he ignited the grill there was a flash,” Stuebner said. “The flash caught the siding on fire that then spread to the deck, and then the house.”

Fifteen firefighters were able to contain the fire by about 4 p.m.

Stuebner said there were no injuries, but two the homeowners’ five cats died in the fire.

Investigators estimate the damage to be around $300,000 dollars.

A fire that started wile the owners were barbecuing quickly spread to the home. Photo Courtesy: Neighbor
A fire that started while the owners were barbecuing quickly spread to the home. Courtesy Photo.
STORIES OF INTEREST
Ice cream machine fire at Sonic in Sandy causes upwards of $50K in damages

LEAVE A REPLY