Sept. 12 (UPI) — After a devastating earthquake in Mexico killed more than 90 people last week, the Mexican government said Monday it could no longer offer aid to victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
Shortly after the hurricane struck the Houston area and the magnitude of destruction was beginning to be realized, Mexico offered an array of services to help with the recovery, including medical teams, helicopters, even troops. And Texas Gov. Greg Abbott accepted some assistance in the form of mobile kitchens.
But after last week’s earthquake, which was more than 8.0 on the Richter Scale, the Mexican government decided it would need to spend its resources on its own tragic natural disaster.
According to the latest death toll, 96 people lost their lives in the earthquake and more than 2.5 million people are estimated to be affected by the damage.
“Given these circumstances, the Mexican government will channel all available logistical support to serve the families and communities affected in the national territory,” the Mexican foreign ministry said Monday, according to the Guardian.
Abbott said he understood the reasoning for the decision.
“We are grateful for Mexico’s offer of assistance in the aftermath of Harvey, and fully understand and support the decision to redirect their resources back home in the wake of this deadly earthquake,” said Abbott’s spokesman, John Wittman, according to the Dallas Morning News.