2 plead guilty in gang-related killing, burglary of Provo man

Maria Hernandez (L) and Brayden Marshall. Photos: Utah County

PROVO, Utah, Nov. 10, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — A man and a woman accused of murder in a burglary and killing in Provo have pleaded guilty to reduced charges.

Brayden Kenneth Marshall and Maria Guadalupe Hernandez, who are both 19, have pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony, and manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

Marshall previously had been charged with aggravated murder and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies, and with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.

Hernandez was originally charged with murder and aggravated robbery, both first-degree felonies, obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony, and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor.

Marshall, Hernandez, Jerry Otis Hawley, 34, and alleged gunman Jesse William Gordin, 22, were charged in the March 13, 2017, death of Gustavo Ramirez, who was 24. Police at the time said the incident was gang-related.

According to a probable cause statement, the group went to 71 N. 400 West to get a backpack Hernandez said was hers and to rob the residents of a cash box Hernandez had seen.

Marshall said the group knocked on the front door, then attempted to force it open, but were not successful.

They then went to the back door and forced it open. After multiple shots were fired, they returned to the vehicle and drove away.

A friend drove Ramirez to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Sentencing is set for Dec. 6 for Hernandez, of Sandy, and Jan. 3 for Marshall, of Provo.

LEAVE A REPLY