Police ID Millcreek man who died in SWAT standoff following domestic dispute

A Millcreek man fatally shot himself Monday after a SWAT standoff at his home following a domestic dispute. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Steve Milner

MILLCREEK, Utah, Aug. 21, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — Police have identified a Millcreek man who fatally shot himself Monday after a SWAT standoff at his home following a domestic dispute.

The dead man is Randy Davis, 58.

Unified Police Department spokesman Lt. Brian Lohrke told Gephardt Daily the incident at 3368 S. Crestwood Drive came to an end a little before 11:15 a.m. after eight hours when the SWAT operators on the perimeter of the home heard what they believed to be a muffled gunshot from inside the home.

“SWAT operators immediately tried to breach the door, slowly make their way inside the home, they were of course worried about the condition of the male inside but also cautious as to any harm to themselves,” Lohrke said.

“They were able to bring a Unified Fire Authority robot inside the home to start clearing the home before our officers made their way inside and they found the 58-year-old male with a gunshot wound in the master bedroom; it appeared to be self-inflicted. They did confirm the male is deceased from his self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

Photo: Gephardt Daily/Steve Milner

The incident began at about 3:30 a.m., Lohrke said.

“A couple was in an argument where the male subject assaulted his wife and pulled out a gun on her, threatening her,” Lohrke said. “She was able to safely get out of the house and call for help.”

He said Unified Police officers arrived and established communication with the man.

“He did make suicidal statements to them and also homicidal statements meaning he was going to leave the house and threaten the public in some manner,” Lohrke said.

Lohrke said there were no children in the home at the time of the incident, just the husband and wife.

Several homes were evacuated around the address, and the public was asked to stay away from the area as a precaution.

Lohrke said there does not appear to be a history of similar incidents at the home.

Detectives will now obtain a search warrant for the house, to go in and investigate further.

“Just a sad situation,” Lohrke added. “Not the ending that we wanted, we attempted communications with this male for as long as we could, those communications did break down. Officers on the perimeter did try to regain those communications through means of bullhorn but did not get any luck in doing so.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here