Salt Lake City police seek tips after triple shooting outside The Complex; say attack ‘possibly gang related’

Salt Lake City Police responded to the scene of a shooting in which three people were wounded near The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, on Friday night, Nov. 22, 2019. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Patrick Benedict

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Nov. 23, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Salt Lake City Police officials have issued a request for information after a triple shooting outside The Complex on Friday night.

“Last night’s shooting near 536 W. 100 S. occurred after an argument on the street and is possibly gang related,” the statement says. “Three individuals were treated for gunshot wounds at hospitals. All are expected to recover.”

“Anyone with information should call 801-799-3000 and reference case 19-220543.”

The “shots fired” call went out just after 10 p.m. and all available officers responded to the area of the music venue.

Lt. Carlos Valencia, with the Salt Lake City Police Department, said a hip-hop concert had just let out, and a lot of people were leaving the venue.

As three people headed westbound on 100 South, a white, older model vehicle also was going westbound, and suddenly shots rang out, Valencia said. The shots were directed at the trio walking down the street.

“One of the victims shot back at the vehicle and it took off westbound at a high rate of speed, then went northbound from 100 South,” Valencia said.

Other Stories of Interest:  Unified Police officials ask for public's help identifying suspect in shooting

Of the three victims, one was shot in the chest and is now in stable condition. A juvenile was shot in the foot, and the third person was wounded in the leg.

No information has been released regarding the victims’ names or ages.

Many people were in the immediate area and witnessed the incident, so officers are talking with them and gathering as much information as they can.

About 20 minutes before the shooting, after the Utah Jazz defeated the Golden State Warriors, the Vivint Smart Home Arena, at 301 S. Temple, was evacuated because of a report of a suspicious package.

Valencia said the box was being checked out by the bomb squad, and that the two incidents were believed to be unrelated.

On Saturday morning, it was revealed the suspicious box was a tool box with only tools inside.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here