The 45-year-old actor and 38-year-old actress, who play Richard Castle and Kate Beckett on the police procedural, addressed fans on social media following news the show will end after Season 8.
“All things must end. It has been an honor working with the men and women of Castle. I am truly amazed at what we’ve done. Thank you all,” Fillion tweeted Friday.
“Dear Every Director, It appears I have an opening in my schedule,” he added. “Dear Fans, In whatever project I do next, loudly notice how unlike Castle and fresh and versatile I am. Thanks.”
Katic, meanwhile, posted a photo of a handwritten note she penned to fans. The actress was previously confirmed to be leaving the series, but ABC had yet to decide if it would renew Castle for Season 9 with Fillion as the sole star.
“Dear Castle fans, cast & crew: Your devotion to our show has carried us for these unforgettable 8 seasons. I’m lucky to have met & worked with & for the lot of you. I will always be grateful,” Katic wrote.
Castle‘s cancellation follows rumors of on-set conflict between Fillion and Katic. Sources had told The Hollywood Reporter Katic was unhappy on the series, although Fillion wished his co-star well after the earlier news of her departure.
“The two were basically not speaking to each other if it wasn’t in character,” a source told People. The magazine also reported Fillion and Katic filmed two different versions of the Season 8 finale, which will bring the show to a close May 16.