15 sickened by accidental discharge of pepper spray at Salt Lake City buffet

First responders arrived at the Salt Lake City Chuck-A-Rama location, at 744 E. 400 South, to assist people suffering respiratory distress after an accidental discharge of pepper spray in the lobby on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Patrick Benedict

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Sept. 18, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — More than two dozen Chuck-A-Rama diners in Salt Lake City arrived for the buffet but left with an unwanted dose of pepper spray.

Battalion Chief Richard Baden, Salt Lake City Fire Department, spoke to Gephardt Daily at the scene, at 744 E. 400 South.

“There was an accidental discharge of pepper spray, 2% capsaicin, discharged in the lobby, and we had a few people that were having respiratory symptoms due to it being a respiratory irritant,” he said.

Other Stories of Interest:
SLCPD: Warrant issued for man suspected of breaking into woman's property, changing locks, razing trees

“There were about 15 or so people that were checked on scene,” Baden said. “Four of those signed releases, one was transported.”

Pepper spray is “… just a respiratory irritant, so really fresh air took care of it,” he said.

Baden said he didn’t know who sprayed the irritant.

“All we know is it was an accidental discharge in the lobby area.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here