HILDALE, UTAH, July 2, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — Two children have reportedly died after possible exposure to E. coli in the southern Utah town of Hildale.
In a statement made to local media outlets, Hildale’s Deputy Marshal Daniel Musser said the children died over the last couple of weeks and other children may have been exposed to the deadly pathogen.
According to a post on the Southwest Utah Public Health Department’s Facebook page, the exact source of the outbreak had yet to be determined, although water tests conducted in Hildale have turned up negative. That means the source of the outbreak — which is believed to confined to a small area — is likely the result of contaminated food or exposure to animals.
The SUPHD said it would continue to investigate the outbreak and that any developments would be posted to their Facebook page.
The children, both identified as residents of Hildale, died while being treated in the hospital. Their names have yet to be released.