SPANISH FORK, Utah, April 8, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A fire in a hangar at Spanish Fork-Springville Airport resulted in an estimated $300,000 in damage late Saturday night.
Sgt. Phil Nielsen, Spanish Fork Police Department, told Gephardt Daily that fire crews were dispatched at 10:32 p.m. after someone in another hangar saw the smoke and notified authorities.
Nielsen said a single-engine, privately owned plane was in the hangar where some work was being done on it.
A battery charger had been turned on and was left unattended, Nielsen said, and that’s what sparked the blaze.
He said the fire was out at 11:23 p.m.
“It took about an hour. These hangars have ginormous doors, and they had to be forced open to get the plane out and extinguish the flames.”
Nielsen said the damage, estimated at $300,000, included the plane, which was a total loss, and smoke and water damage to the hangar.
There was nothing suspicious about the incident, he said.
Offering a little fire prevention advice, Nielsen said, “Be careful, and never leave anything electrical unattended. It’s never a good idea not to keep an eye on electrical equipment.”
Spanish Fork Fire Department responded to the call, with assistance from the Salem City Fire Department.