Bodycam video shows Salt Lake City officer-involved shooting of 13-year-old boy with autism

Still frame of SLCPD bodycam video recorded during a Sept. 4, 2020 officer-involved shooting which critically injured a 13-year-old boy with autism. Source: SLCPD

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Sept. 21, 2020 (Gephardt Daily) — Police have released bodycam video and 911 calls from a Salt Lake City officer-involved shooting that critically wounded a 13-year-old boy who has autism earlier this month.

Linden Cameron was having what Salt Lake City Police Department spokesman Sgt. Keith Horrocks described as a “mental episode” when officers were called to his home near 500 South and Navajo Street in the Glendale neighborhood shortly after 10 p.m. Sept. 4, 2020.

The bodycam videos show responding officers meeting briefly with Linden’s mother who told police her son had a history of mental issues, had previous violent encounters with law enforcement, and may possibly be armed.

Officers attempted to contact the troubled teen, who fled from the family’s home and led police on a foot chase through a neighborhood alleyway.

As police converged on the teen, he was repeatedly ordered to the ground and to “pull your hands out” before one of the officers opened fire.

The 13-year collapsed on the sidewalk and officers began first aid.

At a press conference prior to the release of the footage, Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall said, “As a member of this community, and as the mother of a 14-year-old boy, I am profoundly heartbroken and I am frustrated.

“This shooting is another tragedy. It’s a tragedy for this young boy, for his mother and for families and individuals who have acute mental health needs, and for our community, who may look at this situation and see themselves or a loved one reflected in it.

‘We are at the beginning of an evolution to the way our city addresses public safety, and through this work we will live in a Salt Lake City that is safer for its residents and the officers that serve and protect them.”

Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown also spoke, saying that as a community, “we need to find a way forward” to deal with mental health incidents, “which frequently are not criminal in nature.”

Body-cam video from four different officers were revealed to the public Monday.

“This is body-worn camera footage from the officer-involved critical incident which occurred on Sep. 4, 2020,” Salt Lake City Police Department posted on YouTube on Monday afternoon.

“The video begins when the officer activated their camera. The video is stopped after the shooting occurs in order to protect the privacy of the juvenile who was shot. There are redactions in the audio of the video to protect the privacy interests of the juvenile. In three of the videos the officers gather to have a conversation, they mute their audio as per state law prior to turning the audio back on. This occurs approximately 10 minutes into the videos.”

The first video, which is 18 minutes and 26 seconds long, is the point of view of the male officer who fired the shots. It begins with three officers walking toward the home teen’s family home, but still some distance from the residence.

At the 3 minute 18 second mark, the juvenile’s mother is shown inside a parked car. The officer asks her: “What’s going on?” The mother responds that she has been working and says of Linden: “He’s not used to being without me for so long, because I’m worried about him and I normally don’t ever leave.”

The officer says police have some notes about weapons in the house. His mother says a co-worker told her Linden had a BB gun. “I don’t know if it’s a BB gun, I don’t know if it’s a pellet gun, I don’t know if it’s a prop weapon, I don’t believe it’s a real gun,” she says. The officer replies: “So unfortunately we have to treat them all as if they are.” The officer adds: “What is it you need from us tonight?” The boy’s mother says: “We need him to go to the hospital. I need him to go to the hospital. I cannot get in there on my own, and I cannot do this every night.”

She adds that law enforcement is a trigger for her son. “He sees the badge and he automatically thinks, like, you’re going to kill him, or he has to defend himself in some way. He freaks out,” she says. The officers say they will go to the house before the boy’s mother does. “We’re going to leave you out of the equation and keep you out here,” the female officer says. “We just don’t want your safety to be compromised.” The boy’s mother says he and his brother are in the house.

At the 16 minute 24 second mark, the officers knock on the door and identify themselves, then can be seen running through the backyard as Linden runs. The juvenile then jumps a fence. At the 17 minute 10 second mark, the officer wearing the body-camera shouts: “Freeze, let me see your hands.” The officers then climb through the fence as they continue to chase the juvenile. At the 18 minute 9 second mark, shots can be heard and the officer says: “2-22, shots fired.” At the end of that video, the juvenile can be seen lying on the ground. “I don’t feel good,” Linden can be heard saying after the shooting. “Tell my mom I love her.”

The second video, which is 18 minutes and 22 seconds long, shows the incident from another male officer’s point of view.

A third video, which is 18 minutes and 31 seconds, shows the incident from the body-worn camera of a female officer.

The final video, which is one minute and 40 seconds long, shows officers chasing the juvenile from the point of view of a fourth officer, who says repeatedly: “Get on the ground,” then “Pull your hands out.”

Two 911 calls from the juvenile’s mother and the audio recording of the radio traffic also were released Monday.

SLCPD released a second lengthy statement along with the videos.

The statement reads in full:

Officer-Involved Critical Incident


Date: Friday, Sept. 4, 2020 at 10:10 p.m.

Address: 517 S. Navajo Street

Subject: 13-year-old male whose identity is not being released as he is a juvenile

Complainant: Mother of 13-year-old male

The Salt Lake City Police Department is committed to continually evaluating and analyzing how we operate. In the past we have held a press conference to show a portion of the body-worn camera footage from an officer-involved critical incident, while releasing a longer version of that footage to those who filed a GRAMA request. Going forward we will follow the model we are establishing today. We will publicly release the footage of the incident without showing smaller portions. The footage will be accompanied by a document which provides the information available to us and able to be released to the public at this time.

In the interest of transparency, the Salt Lake City Police Department is releasing body-worn camera footage of this officer-involved critical incident. The footage being released shows the entire incident from the three officers who initially responded to the call as well as a fourth officer who responded. The videos being released are all of the videos in SLCPD’s possession that captured the moments leading up to and including the shooting. The footage begins when their cameras were activated and is stopped just prior to the juvenile’s identity being revealed in order to protect the juvenile’s privacy interests.

Two 911 calls from the juvenile’s mother and the audio recording of the radio traffic are also being released.

There are moments in the video and audio recordings where the audio is muted. With respect to the body cameras worn by the officers, there is a moment where the audio is muted by all three officers on-scene while they have a discussion with each other. The body cameras were un-muted after that discussion. This occurs approximately 10 minutes into the videos. All other audio on the body cameras was captured, but portions of it were redacted for this release to protect the privacy interests of the juvenile. Additionally, portions of the 911 calls that implicate the juvenile’s privacy interests were also redacted.


The information provided in this section was given to a SLC 911 call taker by the boy’s mother that night. The information contained is only that which was available to the officers on that night.

SLC 911 received a call from a mother indicating her 13-year-old son was having a mental health issue and may be violent. She requested a Crisis Intervention Officer and indicated her son had recently had a high-speed chase with police. Tonight, he threatened to break out every window in the house and had possibly threatened to shoot one of her employees.

The mother did not believe her son had any access to weapons but was not sure. She told dispatch her son had a shootout with police in Lyon county, but they had done nothing about it. She told the call taker one of her employees was also shown a BB or pellet gun by her son. The mother provided information that her son does not like law enforcement, partially due to the shooting of a family member by sheriff’s deputies in Lyon county. She was waiting for officers up the street from their residence.


Officers arrived on scene and contacted the mother to obtain details in person. The mother provided more details regarding her son and what occurred tonight. She indicated her son has issues with law enforcement and can have issues when he sees uniforms, however she believed the police are the only people she can call.

Mother noted that on Sept. 4, she was away working, and her son became upset when she did not answer his calls from his phone. She indicated her son had threatened to break things in the house.

The officer speaking with her asked if there were any weapons in the house. The mother indicated her co-worker, who was with her earlier in the evening, told her the son had shown him a gun, however she did not think it was real. The officer told the mother they have to treat all guns as if they’re real and the mother said “right, I know”.

The mother told officers she wanted her son to go to the hospital to deal with the mental health issues he was experiencing. She told officers her son was particularly upset today as she had been with one of her male co-workers. The son made threats he was going to “shoot expletive” referring to the male co-worker.

The mother again advised officers her son does not like law enforcement, and it could trigger her son.

At this point the officers muted the audio on their cameras to consult with each other. 

After their conversation the officers un-muted their cameras and advised the mother they were going to the house to speak with the juvenile and requested she remain at her vehicle for her safety.


Just prior to approaching the residence the three responding officers requested assistance from additional officers and asked for the additional officer to stage east of the house.

The three officers who were initially dispatched to the call then went to the residence. Two officers went to the front door of the residence, while the third officer remained in the driveway.

As two officers knocked on the front door, the officer who remained in the driveway yelled at someone who was in the backyard. That officer gave chase to the individual, and the two officers who were at the door followed.

The person who fled from the house jumped the back fence, which slowed officers down. The officer from the driveway, as well as one officer from the front door attempted to go over the fence, while the third officer went to the front of the house. The juvenile initially ran east but encountered one of the additional officers who had staged to the east. The juvenile turned and began to run west back towards the residence as this additional officer gave chase. Eventually the two officers at the fence broke through and began to chase the male to the west. They continued down the alley to the west until the male exited north on Navajo Street. 

Shortly after this the male stopped running and was ordered to the ground several times by the officer who was initially in the driveway. A second officer twice told the male to “pull your hands out.” The officer who was initially in the driveway discharged his weapon striking the male.

The officers approached the male, handcuffed him, and began rendering medical aid. In order to protect the privacy interests of the juvenile the videos being released are stopped prior to aid being rendered.

The officers continued rendering aid until medical professionals arrived and took over. The male was transported to a hospital where he was treated for his injuries.


The mother made two separate 911 calls in this case. The first call led to the initial response by officers. The second call came after officers had spoken with the mother and were walking to the house. The mother wanted to advise officers to go to the back door as she was concerned her son would run. This information was put into the dispatch log approximately 1 minute prior to officers indicating the son was running from them. The request to go to the back door was never broadcast by the dispatcher, so the three initial officers were unaware of this request.

All new Salt Lake City Police officers attend the Salt Lake City Police Department CIT academy. This is a 40-hour course of instruction that covers mental health issues and its relation to police work. Topics include an overview of mental health conditions, medications, treatments, procedures and community resources. Instructors are selected from community partners, who work in their respective fields. Site visits and interactions with those who experience mental health issues help build officers’ understanding and increase the likelihood of a positive outcome by utilizing available resources. The training concludes with scenarios built from real interactions that help officers contextualize and apply the training.

Policies that may be relevant to this incident can be viewed by clicking on the links below:

Salt Lake City Police Department Use Of Force Policy

Salt Lake City Police Department Body-Worn Camera Policy

According to a GoFundMe account set up to help the family with his medical expenses, Linden has injuries to his shoulder, both ankles, intestines, and bladder.

An update Sept. 12 on the page says: “Linden has a strong spirit and making progress every day. A long way to go still. We are so thankful for all of the communities’ outpouring of love and support.”

The incident is being investigated by a team from West Valley City Police Department, in accordance with officer-involved-critical-incident protocol.

Gephardt Daily will update this story as more information becomes available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here