Crews Battle Two-Alarm Fire After Plumbing Work In Home

Two-Alarm Fire After Plumbing Work
Crews battled a two-alarm fire in South Jordan this morning. Photo: Gephardt Daily/ Kurt Walter

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah, Dec. 3, 2015 (Gephardt Daily) – A frightened homeowner evacuated her children and called 911 after smelling smoke in her house.

Battalion Chief for South Jordan Fire Department Reed Thompson said crews were called to a house fire at 2028 W. Lawrence Circle (6960 West) around 12:30 p.m. after the homeowner smelled smoke while she was in the basement. A plumber had left about an hour earlier after replacing a frozen pipe at the rear of the structure.  “When she opened the door in the basement she encountered a good amount of smoke, closed the door, evacuated the children and called 911. On arrival, we found the fire located between the basement and first floor. As we searched the structure, we found a hole that had burned through the main floor from the basement.”

The home has significant fire and smoke damage as well as water damage from a plumbing line that had either burned through or pushed apart as a result of the fire. There were no injuries, but the home is uninhabitable at this point.

Thompson if residents ever smell smoke or feel heat that is unexpected they should evacuate and call 911, just like this homeowner did.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here