Discovery Gateway evacuated as crews investigate suspected chemical spill

Discovery Gateway children's museum has been evacuated Monday afternoon as HazMat crews investigate a suspected Glycol spill. Photo Courtesy: Wikipedia

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Dec. 12, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Discovery Gateway children’s museum was evacuated Monday afternoon as HazMat crews investigated a suspected Glycol spill.

Salt Lake City Fire Department tweeted at 11:30 a.m. that crews were responding to the museum at 444 W. 100 South.

The spill occurred on the first floor of the museum, according to Salt Lake City Fire Department.

A second tweet from the fire department said it’s likely the spill came from the HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system.

Glycol is a common ingredient in antifreeze.

The museum tweeted it will remain closed for the rest of the day in order for the building to vent, and will re-open at 10 a.m. Tuesday.

The museum added that repairs to the HVAC system have been made, the leak was non-toxic, no one was injured, and everyone was evacuated safely.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here