Dispute over girlfriend led to attempted murder in Ogden, officials say; 2 men charged

Bradley Eppley. Photo: Weber County

OGDEN, Utah, Oct. 7, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — Two men have been charged with the attempted murder and aggravated robbery of a third man who previously had dated the current girlfriend of one of his attackers, according to court papers.

Charged in the July 29 case are Bradley Andrew Eppley, 21, who is in the Weber County Jail, and Bradley Austin Keyworth, 18, who was issued a summons, but is not in custody.

Both Keyworth and Eppley are charged with:

  • Attempted murder (aiding and abetting, use of dangerous weapon), a first-degree felony
  • Aggravated robbery (aiding and abetting, use of dangerous weapon), a first-degree felony

Eppley faces one additional charge:

  • Purchase, transfer, possession or use of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony

According to probable cause statements that are identical for both suspects, the attack plan was initiated after Keyworth heard his girlfriend on the phone, flirting for several hours with the 18-year-old victim, who was her former boyfriend.

In court paperwork, the victim is referred to as JK.

Later, Eppley called JK and, while pretending to be someone else, invited JK to Ogden’s 9th Street Park so they could drink alcohol.

“Keyworth wanted to get JK to the park so they could ‘jump him,” the probable cause statements say.

Keyworth and Eppley arrived at the park after JK, and spotted him sitting on a picnic table, the statement says.

“Eppley and Keyworth scurried to the bathroom and called JK, asking where he was,” the statement says, and they asked him to come to the bathroom. The three conversed for a few minutes, then entered the bathroom, the statement says.

“JK recognized Keyworth and told him he was dating his ex-girlfriend. JK told Keyworth that he shouldn’t date his ex-girlfriend, and called her a ‘hoe.’ Keyworth then approached JK and punched him in the face while Eppley pulled out a knife and stabbed JK multiple times in the stomach.”

JK threw up his hands to block the knife, and was cut along his left wrist, the statement says. JK slid slowly against the wall, to the floor, while Keyworth continued punching him. Eppley used the knife to slit JK’s throat, the probable cause statements say, adding that the attackers then stole JK’s cell phone from his pocket and fled the scene.

JK was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital, where he underwent several surgeries. Later, in August, he identified his attackers through a photo lineup, the statements indicate, adding that another witness also identified Keyworth and Eppley.

Eppley’s next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 11, and he is being held on $42,000 cash-only bail.

Keyworth’s court appointment is set for Oct. 8. Because he only received a summons and is not incarcerated, he has no mug shot in the Weber County Jail website.


  1. Keyworth has already murderded in Washington state and has gotten away with it the same way. 5 years ago this was keyworth not Eppley who did this. Eppley didn’t have a motive keyworth did.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here