Fire causes nearly $50k in damage to Sandy garage

File Photo: Gephardt Daily

SANDY, Utah, Dec. 19, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A family in Sandy is thankful for their smoke alarms after they were alerted to a fire in their garage late Tuesday night and were able to safely evacuate their home.

Sandy Fire Department Battalion Chief Ryan McConaghie told Gephardt Daily the fire started at about 11:15 p.m., possibly in a garbage can. The flames then spread to the garage of the home, near 9500 South and 800 East.

McConaghie said the damage to the structure could be as high as $50,000, even though firefighters kept the blaze contained to the garage. There also was some smoke damage inside the home.

No one was injured, and the residents and their dogs were already out of the house when fire crews arrived.

“The smoke alarms worked,” McConaghie said. “The smoke alarms woke the people up and they all got outside safely.”

The fire was still under investigation into Wednesday morning.

“We’re pretty sure of the source of the fire, but we don’t know the cause yet,” McConaghie said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here