Fire, possibly started by candle, does $15k in damage to W. Jordan home

Photo: Gephardt Daily

WEST JORDAN, Utah, Dec. 7, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A quick response by fire crews likely saved a home on 8330 South from going up in flames Friday afternoon.

West Jordan Fire Capt. Jared Price said the fire, which was reported just before 4:30 p.m. in the area of 1100 W. 8330 South, appears to be accidental, and the cause has been listed as undetermined.

“But it was most likely caused by a candle,” Price told Gephardt Daily.

He said the resident told investigators a candle had been burning in the room in which the fire occurred.

“The fire started and the flames caught the drapes, but the fire department got there quick,” Price said. “If they hadn’t gotten there right away, the damage would have been much worse.”

He estimated the amount of damage at $15,000. There were no injuries.

Whether the fire started with the candle or not, Capt. Price wants people to be aware of the potential dangers of all burning materials, and to take precautions. He advised:

  • Remember not to leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Make sure candles (and anything that gets hot, including incense) are placed on a non-flammable surface and away from any combustible materials.
  • Place candles or incense in a glass or ceramic container taller than the candle, with at least an inch of sand in the bottom. This will prevent the candle or incense from touching anything else and will snuff out the flame when it burns down to the bottom.
  • Ideally, use an electric, plug-in candle warmer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here