DUCHESNE COUNTY, Utah, July 16, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — The Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office posted on Facebook a reminder that fire restrictions are still in place for all unincorporated private and state lands in Daggett, Duchesne and Uintah counties.
The sheriff’s office included the text of the Fire Restriction Order that was issued on June 25. It’s recommended that everyone be aware of all the restrictions, as failure to comply may result in jail time and a hefty fine.
Due to current and forecasted weather conditions coupled with the extremely dry conditions in Northeastern Utah, the State Forester, in consultation with the County Commission in each affected county, has determined that measures must be taken to prevent the ignition of forest and rangeland fires.
Therefore, pursuant to Utah State Law, Section 65A-8-212, THE FOLLOWING ACTS ARE PROHIBITED in the areas described below until rescinded by the Utah State Forester:
1. Setting, building, maintaining, attending or using open fires of any kind, except within the facilities designated for them in improved campgrounds, picnic areas or home sites where running water is present.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation.
3. Discharging or using any kind of fireworks, tracer ammunition or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets.
4. Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation.
5. Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.
Any of the above acts is a violation of state law and punishable by UP TO SIX MONTHS IN JAIL and a fine of up to $1,000.
The following persons are exempted from the above prohibitions:
1. Persons with a permit or waiver specifically authorizing a specified act at a specific location.
2. Any on-duty firefighter in the performance of an official duty.
All unincorporated private and all state lands within Uintah, Daggett and Duchesne counties.
This order does not affect private lands within incorporated towns or city limits.
Anyone who sees someone violating the Fire Restriction Order is asked to call the Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office at 435-738-2015 during normal business hours, or call Central Dispatch at 435-789-4222. If it’s an emergency, call 911.