SANDY, Utah, July 4, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Quick action and lots of water saved a Sandy neighborhood from going up in flames Wednesday evening.
Dry grass caught fire in the area of the Dimple Dell gully, at about 10000 South and 300 East.
“The fire was actually called in by fire units that were out patrolling the city, saw the smoke, called in before any other calls came in, so it was a quick response that way,” Ryan McConaghie, Sandy Battalion Chief, told Gephardt Daily.
“It looks like it burned about two to three acres, spanning 300 to 400 yards at the bottom of the gully. We had seven units from both Sandy and South Jordan, and a quick knock down despite extremely dry conditions. It was potentially a very dangerous fire with houses on both sides of the gully.”
McConaghie said it was too early to know if the blaze was sparked by fireworks, but that’s what has the extra units out on patrol.
“It could be fireworks. At this point, we don’t know. But they’re not allowed in this area.”
McConaghie asked that people using fireworks stick to designated areas, and keep something to extinguish accidental fires nearby. Hot weather predicted will make the fire danger even worse, he said.