WEST JORDAN, Utah, April 7, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Firefighters were called to an address on Harvest Lane shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday and arrived to find a garage fully engulfed in flames.
West Jordan Fire Battalion Chief Darin Montgomery said it initially was thought the structure was attached to the house at 2260 W. Harvest Lane, but when crews arrived, they found a detached garage completely ablaze.
“A gentleman was working on a boat in the garage,” Montgomery said, “and in the process, it started the garage on fire.”
The man who had been working on the boat had lightly singed hair, he said, but other than that, the man was fine and denied medical treatment.
The garage is a total loss, Montgomery said, and the boat was the only thing in it. A couple of vehicles that were outside sustained “a little damage.”
Montgomery said the garage was fairly close to the house, but crews were able to protect the home and prevent the flames from affecting it.
He said the garage had no sheet rock inside, only wood, “so it went up pretty quickly.”
Apparently, the only flammable inside was the fuel that was used to power the boat, and the boat had a full tank.
The incident is still under investigation to determine exactly what sparked the fire.