Garage fire causes $100K in damages, displaces 5 from West Jordan home

A garage fire in a West Jordan residence on Saturday, March 17, 2018, spread to upper floors. About 30 fire fighters fought the blaze. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Steve Milner

WEST JORDAN, Utah, March 17, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A garage fire Saturday afternoon in West Jordan caused about $100,000 in damages to a family home, displaced five people and destroyed three vehicles.

Captain Jared Price, West Jordan Fire Department, said crews were notified at 1:50 p.m., and responded in less than 5 minutes to 4624 Aire Drive.

“Nobody was injured, and of the home’s five occupants, the three that were home were able to exit,” Price said. “The fire was confined to the garage, with a lot of smoke damage to the living area.”

Price said a resident reported he sparked the garage fire while replacing a vehicle’s fuel pump. Three vehicles were destroyed, Price said. The residents will be displaced by the fire, he confirmed.

About 20 firefighters responded from West Jordan Fire Department and Unified Fire Authority, and the fire was knocked down within 10 minutes, although crews remained to search for hot spots and to investigate, Price said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here