MOAB, Utah, Oct. 14, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Grand County School District officials said Monday vaping devices falsely tested positive for methamphetamine earlier this month after a warning was sent to parents.
A news release from the district Monday said: “Recently, vaping devices found at the school tested positive for methamphetamine and THC. The vaping devices have since been retested and the results were negative for methamphetamine, though the THC was confirmed.”
The news release added: “Grand County School District strives to provide students a safe and positive learning environment, which includes efforts to keep schools nicotine and drug free. When students are found with vaping devices, the devices may be tested for nicotine and drugs.”
The news release adds that vaping or possessing a vaping device on school grounds is a safe school violation with a mandatory 10-day suspension.
“The consequence for students is the same regardless of whether the test is positive for nicotine or drugs,” the news release said. “Since the original incidents were reported the schools have facilitated an open dialogue with students and parents about the medical consequences and risks of vaping. Some students have voluntarily turned in their vaping devices and parents with concerns about their student(s) vaping have sought resources from the schools.”
Grand County School District will continue to test all vaping devices and provide appropriate resources to address student vaping, the news release said.
“The safe school violation policy will continue to apply to any students caught vaping or with vaping devices,” the news release said. “Grand County School District is committed to enhancing our prevention efforts, fostering a safe learning environment for students, and promoting community-wide education around vaping.”
The Utah Department of Health announced in early October it has implemented a new, emergency administrative rule aimed at reducing the number of vaping-related lung injury cases.
“The rule requires all tobacco retailers that sell e-cigarette products to post notices regarding the dangers of vaping unregulated THC products, and also restricts the sale of flavored e-cigarette products to retail tobacco specialty businesses,” said a news release from the health department’s Tobacco Prevention and Control Program.
Utah has been hit especially hard in the national outbreak of lung injury cases, with 76 cases of vaping-related lung injuries being reported as Monday, Oct. 7, and another 14 potential cases under review, officials said. It was announced on Oct. 9 that one individual has passed away from a vaping-related lung injury.
Retailers had until Oct. 7 to comply with the emergency rule, which will remain in place for 120 days. State health officials said earlier this month enforcement of that rule will be delayed until Oct. 21.
The UDOH will work to implement a permanent rule while the emergency rule is in place.
For more information on the vaping-related lung injury outbreak in Utah click here.