Grandson’s quick action saves couple from Murray house fire

Firefighters responded late Thursday evening, Aug. 31, 2017, to a fire at 5770 E. Lindon St., in Murray. Photo: Gephardt Daily/SLCScanner

MURRAY, Utah, Sept. 1, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — A house fire near 5700 and Lindon Street left a home uninhabitable Thursday night, but no one was injured thanks to the quick actions of the residents’ grandson.

Deputy Chief Jon Harris, with the Murray City Fire Department, told Gephardt Daily a 911 call about smoke in the residence came in around 10 p.m.

The couple in the home, both wheel-chair bound, had called their daughter to tell her there was smoke in the house.

“The daughter called the grandson,” Harris said, “and when he got there and opened the door, the place was charged with smoke. He immediately called 911.”

The grandson is Aaron Lugo, 19, and a student at Penn Foster College.

The young man “grabbed his grandmother, lifted her up and carried her out. A neighbor came and went in and got the grandfather and carried him out,” Harris said.

There were also three dogs in the house, which Lugo brought out.

“The grandparents weren’t injured. The grandson had some smoke inhalation. He was checked out, and wasn’t transported.”

Harris said when fire department units arrived there was a great deal of smoke showing from the swamp cooler on the roof. Inside, the fire was just starting to roll over the ceiling.

The couple won’t be able to stay in the house overnight, Harris said, because there was a lot of smoke and water damage throughout.

The cause of the fire isn’t yet known, but Harris said it initially looks like it started in the kitchen area; however, officials don’t believe it was due to cooking.

“They had a lot of storage in the kitchen, and electrical cords, so that’s where we’re focusing our investigation,” Harris said.

Murray City Fire and Unified Fire departments both responded.

Harris said the fire engine was just returning from nearby Intermountain Medical Center when the call came in, so they were able to respond in especially good time.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here