Heber City man facing charges in Utah, Idaho, Minnesota

IDAHO/LOGAN, Utah, June 12, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A Heber City, Utah, man is facing numerous felony charges in Utah and Idaho after he allegedly fled from police in both states over a three-day period while driving stolen vehicles.

Timothy R. Mitchell, 43, was also charged with a felony warrant out of Minnesota for violating parole on a prior charge of strong-armed rape, according to an Idaho State Police news release.

Mitchell was taken into custody in Logan, Utah, on Tuesday.

Law enforcement in Idaho first encountered the suspect on Sunday afternoon, when they spotted a 2007 Chevrolet pickup truck driving south on Interstate 15 in Jefferson County. The pickup had been reported stolen out of Minnesota.

“Troopers initiated a traffic stop by activating their lights, at which point the vehicle slowed, then drove off the road and through adjacent fields,” the news release says.  The troopers lost sight of the vehicle.

Idaho State Police searched for the pickup truck, with help from the Jefferson County and Bonneville County sheriff’s offices, but they didn’t find the suspect or the vehicle.

On Monday, around noon, ISP heard from Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office that a man had reported finding the Chevy pickup truck. The man also reported that his red-and-white Honda motorcycle was stolen from the same location.

On Tuesday, Logan City Police attempted to make a traffic stop on a motorcycle with no visible vehicle registration. The suspect, later identified as Mitchell, fled from the officers and crashed into a field, at which point he was taken into custody.

Logan police determined that Mitchell was driving the stolen Honda motorcycle.

Mitchell is facing charges in Utah, including:

  • Possession of a stolen vehicle
  • Being a felon in possession of a firearm
  • Evading police officers
  • Reckless driving

Mitchell will face multiple felony charges for crimes committed in Idaho, as well.

“Multiple tips and reports were called in from citizens with credible information,” Idaho State Police said in the release, and they thanked the public for their assistance.

This case is still under investigation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here