Update: Police Identify Suspect Taken Into Custody After Car Chase, Attempt To Ram Officer In Washington County

Laithon D. Webb, 21. Photo Courtesy: Washington County

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Utah, July 7, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Police have identified a suspect taken into custody after a car chase and foot pursuit that started in Hurricane and ended in La Verkin Wednesday evening, and are still searching for a second suspect that ran from the vehicle.

The suspect has been identified as Laithon D. Webb, 21.

Authorities said Webb also tried to ram a police officer with the vehicle he was driving, leaving the officer with minor injuries and prompting him to discharge his firearm in the direction of the suspect in an attempt to stop him.

Hurricane Police Department spokesman Sgt. Brandon Buell said in a news release that officers were dispatched to a trespassing in progress in Hurricane at approximately 6:50 p.m. Webb left the scene prior to officers arriving. While investigating the incident, officers located what they believed was a stolen vehicle at the location of the original incident.

“The suspect was located in a different vehicle by Hurricane Police officers,” the statement said. “The officers made an attempt to stop the vehicle and the suspect evaded the officers. The pursuit traveled from Hurricane into La Verkin. Officers lost sight of the vehicle for a brief period.

“The vehicle was soon located and the suspect drove directly at one of the pursuing officers with the vehicle. The officers gave multiple commands to stop and the suspect failed to comply. One of the pursuing officers discharged his firearm at the suspect. The suspect fled on foot and the officers continued to pursue.”

Webb was stopped in block of 70 North 70 East in La Verkin, became combative with officers, and was taken into custody.

Officers had obtained information that there were originally two subjects in the vehicle and one had fled when officers lost sight of the vehicle in La Verkin. Officers are continuing to search for this subject.

One officer was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George with minor injuries. As a precaution, Webb was also transported to DRMC and evaluated, with minor scrapes and bruises.

Washington County critical incident task force has been called to conduct an investigation into the incident. The involved officer will be placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, as is policy in these incidents.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here