LAYTON, Utah, July 25, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Officials have made an arrest after a fire broke out Monday at the Layton Meadows Apartments.
A probable cause statement from the 2nd District Court of Layton said Angel David Colebrook, 20, is facing charges of reckless burn — starts fire, endangers human life, a class A misdemeanor, and reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.
Layton Fire Department and Layton Police Department responded to an apartment complex engulfed in flames Monday, the statement said. The fire started at the complex at 540 W. 1415 North, at approximately 3 p.m. The blaze affected 24 units in Building 586, said a tweet from Layton City.
“Firefighters involved in extinguishing the blaze noted the fire was difficult to control, and given the rapid growth of the fire, it was opined that an accelerant (highly combustible fuel) was involved,” the statement said.
The origin of the fire was determined to have been a ground floor apartment leased by the above named defendant, the statement said.
“On Tuesday, the defendant was interviewed and reported the fire started as a result of his playing with a lighter and incense candle,” the statement said. “Gasoline was a contributing factor to the fire as it had been stored within the apartment, and at some point prior to the fire, had spilled onto the floor of the home.”
The arresting officer wrote: “Your affiant believes it probable that the above named defendant engaged in the following unlawful activity: reckless endangerment– the actions of the defendant created a substantial risk of death and/or serious bodily injury to residents residing at Layton Meadows apartments. Furthermore, the actions of the defendant were without regard for the safety and well being of others despite the substantial risk created when exposing an open flame to gasoline.”
“The reckless actions of the defendant started a fire that resulted in significant property damage and endangered human life.”
There were five minor civilian injuries, and seven Layton Police Department officers were treated for smoke inhalation from evacuating residents, Layton City said. The Red Cross assisted displaced residents.
Colebrook was transported to Davis County Jail with his bail set at $3,900.