PROVO, Utah, March 5, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — The owners of the Los Hermanos restaurant, a Provo landmark, have announced they are moving to Orem after a fire destroyed their building on Feb. 11.
It was found that the blaze at the restaurant at 71 E. Center St. was sparked by laundered, stored towels in the basement prep kitchen, officials said.
“Because of these types of towels become embedded with oils over their lifespan they can, in the right circumstances, self-generate heat until they spontaneously ignite into flame,” a Provo Fire & Rescue statement said.
The restaurant was deemed a total loss after the fire.
The new location for the restaurant is the former Old Spaghetti Factory at University Place in Orem.
The owners of Los Hermanos posted the following on the restaurant’s Facebook:
“We are thrilled to announce that we have signed a lease with University Place in Orem! Thank you for all of the love, prayers, and thoughts sent our way.
“Three weeks ago today, we wept as we watched our beloved Downtown Provo location burst into flames. Downtown Provo had been the home to Los Hermanos for 30+ years and quite literately a second home to the owners and some of the managers over the years.
“We searched for a space that would suit us in downtown Provo or closer to downtown Provo without any luck. Rebuilding was also not an option as the building was deemed a total loss and we were only leasing our space in Provo.
“While we will be sad to leave, we are incredibly excited for what’s in store for us as we open this new chapter in Orem at University Place!”
The owners said they hope to have a soft opening date soon.