Man allegedly lights trailer on fire in Hurricane

File photo: Gephardt Daily

HURRICANE, Utah, May 14, 2021 (Gephardt Daily) — A man was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly set a trailer on fire in Hurricane.

A probable cause statement from the 5th District Court of Washington County said Trenton Ryan Begay, 27, is facing charges of:

  • Aggravated arson, a first-degree felony
  • Failure to stop at the command of law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor
  • Interference with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor
  • Assault, a class B misdemeanor
  • Criminal mischief, a class B misdemeanor

Begay also had two active warrants when he was arrested.

The arresting officer observed a man and woman walking across the road in the area of 3400 W. 150 North in Hurricane. As the male was crossing, he flipped off several vehicles.

“I followed the male and female into the parking lot of a gas station,” the statement said. “I contacted the female, she stated that the male had just hit her. The male was walking away from me as I talked with the female. I told the female to stay in the area as I focused my attention to the male. The male was later identified to be Trenton Begay.”

The officer followed Begay on foot and asked him to stop three times; he identified himself as a police officer and told the suspect that if he did not stop he would deploy a Taser. Begay ignored his commands.

“Trenton then stopped turned and looked at me, with his arms out and took a step towards me,” the statement said. “Trenton then stated he would not stop, go ahead and tase me. I looked over my shoulder and observed a second officer responding. As Trenton turned his back to me, I fired my Taser at Trenton. I observed Trenton stiffen up and he fell forward with a probe in his back and a second probe in his left upper leg.”

The second officer arrived as the first cycle of the taser finished. Begay’s hands were under him; the backup officer asked the suspect to show his hands and he did not. He then brought his hands behind him, and was immediately handcuffed, the statement said.

The woman was interviewed; she said Begay hit her with an open hand across her left cheek. A witness also verified that information.

Begay was transported to an area hospital for medical clearance.

“As we arrived at the hospital, dispatch advised that there was a fire at a residence the victim was living at,” the statement said. “I questioned Mr. Begay if there was anyone in the house because there might be a fire at his residence. Mr. Begay stated that his sister and kids live with him but were not home. No further questions were asked.”

Begay was released from the hospital and transported to Washington County Jail. He was read his Miranda rights; he then allegedly admitted he set the fire on purpose “to get even with his girlfriend and the guy she was with,” the statement said. He told officers he used hand sanitizer as an accelerant, and lit the fire with a lighter in the tool compartment of the trailer. He then walked away from the fire.

The trailer was parked in a trailer park with several others nearby, the statement said.

The suspect’s bail is set at $30,000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here