Update: Police ID man killed Sunday in SLC shooting, suspects in custody

Salt Lake City Police tweeted Sunday night that Jesse Ray Rakes, 30, was shot and killed Sunday morning in a "drug deal gone bad." Photo Courtesy: Salt Lake County

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Aug. 28, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — One man is dead and several people are in custody following a shooting near downtown Salt Lake City on Sunday morning.

Salt Lake City Police tweeted Sunday night that Jesse Ray Rakes, 30, was shot and killed Sunday morning in a “drug deal gone bad.”

Salt Lake Police Detective Greg Wilking said charges will be screened for the homicide.

Daniel Simon, 25, is being charged for possession of a firearm by a restricted person, Wilking said. Michael Polk, 34, and Matthew Eyre, 35, were both booked for aggravated robbery.

Natanni Xoumphonphackdy, 25, is being booked for obstruction, Wilking said.

Lt. Mike Ross from the Salt Lake City Police Department said officials were called at about 7:30 a.m. to reports of a shooting that occurred at 550 W. 300 South.

“We had a report that one male, approximately 30 years old, was shot and laying off the side of the road,” said Ross.

The man, later identified as Rakes, died after being taken to an area hospital by ground ambulance.

Homicide detectives were at the scene and stopped a car they felt was involved.

“We transported one subject up to the public safety building for interviews, and several witnesses are also en route to the public safety building,” Ross said Sunday morning as the investigation got underway.

Witnesses said a car at the scene rolled onto its roof after trying to block the suspect vehicle in.

“The suspect vehicle pulled backwards, striking the car, causing it to flip over,” said Ross.

The area of 300 South between 500 and 600 West was closed while the scene was cleared.

To share information about this or other criminal activity with the Salt Lake City Police Department, call 801-799-3000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here