Man shot in West Valley City, 17-year-old suspect in custody

A man was shot at least twice in West Valley City on Friday, April 13, 2018. The 17-year-old suspect returned to the scene, in the area of 3500 West and 4650 South, and was taken into custody. Police were investigating whether the damaged car the suspect was driving ties in with the incident. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah, April 13, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Police received numerous calls about a disturbance late Friday afternoon and arrived at the scene, in the area of 3500 West and 4650 South, to find a man who had been shot multiple times.

Lt. Steve Burke, West Valley City Police, said residents along the street started calling police at about 4:40 p.m., “informing us of a disturbance, an argument, a domestic, and I believe a couple called in with a shots-fired call.”

Officers quickly arrived and found an adult male with at least two gunshot wounds — one to his shoulder and the other to his chest.

While officers were getting the victim treated and were making sure no one else was in the house, the suspect returned to the scene.

“We took him into custody,” Burke said. “So we’re just trying to clean up the mess here, to figure out who did what and when.”

Burke said the victim’s wounds were “critical but not life-threatening at this point.”

The man was still being evaluated by medical personnel, and police were awaiting further word on his condition.

Burke commented on the number of calls police received from concerned neighbors. Some callers reported a family disturbance, a couple reported shots fired.

“The reports that we got were that there were two people fighting in the driveway or the front yard,” he said.

The suspect who is in custody is a 17-year-old male. His identity is not being released because of his age.

A female also was detained, but Burke wasn’t sure of her age. Initial information indicated that the males are family members, but Burke said that hadn’t yet been confirmed.

“It’s still early in the investigation,” he said.

A car at the scene showed signs of damage, including broken windows. Burke said the suspect left the scene in the car and then returned.

Investigators were still looking into what role, if any, the car played in the whole incident.

Gephardt Daily will update this story as more information is made available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here