Man wanted for aggravated assault on officer busted in high-speed chase

Harley Gregory Welsh, wanted for aggravated assault on a police officer and auto theft, being taken into custody early Sunday morning, Dec. 17, 2017. Police say Welsh, driving a stolen Honda, led officers on a chase from Salt Lake City into South Salt Lake, and back again, terminating at 3950 S. West Temple. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah, Dec. 16, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — A man wanted for aggravated assault on an officer is in custody early Sunday morning after leading police on a chase from Salt Lake City onto Interstate 15 to South Salt Lake and back again.

Unified Police Lt. Paul Barker told Gephardt Daily that at 10:55 p.m. Saturday, Harley Gregory Welsh, 39, was spotted in Salt Lake City by detectives from the Metro Gang Unit.

Police had been looking for Welsh, who is accused of ramming two police cars and stealing a vehicle in Millcreek on Tuesday, Dec. 12.

Welsh had been found Tuesday morning, near 3900 S. Howick St., apparently sleeping in what was suspected to be a stolen vehicle.

Officers used their cruisers to block Welsh from fleeing, and put spike strips around the vehicle’s tires.

When Welsh awoke and saw the officers, he rammed their cars with the stolen vehicle, then led them on a chase and made his escape.

Harley Welsh. Photo: Unified Police

Barker said Welsh tried to do a repeat Saturday night when detectives saw him in a stolen white Honda with a temporary tag.

The police spiked the Honda’s tires, but Welsh kept going, leading officers in a pursuit that began at high speed, but slowed as the spiked tires gave way.

“When they got onto the freeway, they were calling ahead so that other officers could go and slow the traffic because he (Welsh) couldn’t reach freeway speeds with the spiked tires,” Barker said.

The pursuit finally ended at 3950 S. West Temple. Officers set up a containment area and brought in a K-9 unit.

Welsh was taken into custody uninjured, except for a dog bite.

Barker said Welsh was transported to St. Mark’s to have the bite wound treated and would then be going to Salt Lake County Jail.

He said Welsh was also wanted on a warrant for aggravated assault on a civilian, but he didn’t have any details on that incident.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here