More details released on Millcreek homicide; suspect held on $1M bail

Photo: Gephardt Daily

MILLCREEK, Utah, Feb. 19, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A probable cause statement released Tuesday has revealed more details on a homicide that took place in Millcreek Monday afternoon.

The deceased was identified earlier Tuesday as Steven Richard Nyce, 61, in a tweet from Unified Police Department.

Tyler James Vernon, 37, has been booked into Salt Lake County Jail on a charge of aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, the probable cause statement said. His bail has been set at $1 million.

The probable cause statement said UPD dispatch received a call at 2:07 p.m. from a man stating another man was at his house stating he had just killed someone.

Unified Police Officers arrived at the address in the area of 1280 E. 3770 South at 2:12 p.m. hours and located the suspect, later identified as Vernon, standing on the front porch with a metal object in his hands.

“Officers gave several commands for the A/P (accused person) to drop the object which he did and was safely taken into custody,” the statement said. Officers observed blood on the suspect as they were taking him into custody, the statement goes on.

Officials on scene entered the home fearing someone inside the residence was harmed.

“As officers entered the residence they observed a male lying face up in the living room next to the couch who had suffered severe head injuries and appeared to be deceased,” the probable cause statement said. “Officers described the inside of the residence as it appeared a struggle had taken place and items were knocked over.”

Once the residence was searched and secured, Unified Fire Authority crews arrived on scene and one paramedic entered the residence and stated the victim was beyond help and was deceased at 2:15 p.m., the statement said.

The suspect was then transported to the Unified Police Department Holladay Precinct for an interview but refused to talk with officers. He was then transported to jail without incident.

“While attempting to interview the suspect he referred to the officers as demons and
commanded them to release him in the name of his God,” the statement said.

“The A/P appears to have beaten the victim to death, possibly with the large metal object he was holding when contacted by the police.”

The listed address for the suspect and the victim is the same, the statement said, though their exact relationship is not clear.

Gephardt Daily will update this story as information is made available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here