Murray Fire officials release cause of blaze that killed girl, 7, and her grandmother

Lisa Wiley (inset) and her 7-year-old granddaughter died in a Murray house fire caused by improper wiring on Nov. 19, 2018. Photos: GoFundMe; Gephardt Daily

MURRAY, Utah, Nov. 22, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — The Murray Fire Department has released the cause of a fire that claimed the lives of a little girl and her grandmother.

Cassidy Jackson, 7, and Lisa Wiley, 53, were trapped in the residence, at 5729 South 700 West, and died as a result of the Monday morning fire.┬áCassidy’s mother and uncle were able to escape.

The Murray Fire Department on Thursday released a statement:

“The cause of the fire has been determined to be an electrical short from a permanently wired extension cord that was ran through a bedroom wall and underneath stairs of the home,” the tweet said.

Other Stories of Interest:  Officials investigate fire in locked kitchen at Provo rehab center

“The fire first ignited below the stairs and traveled throughout the house rapidly. This was a accidental fire and our hearts and prayers continue to go out to the family.”

A GoFundMe account that states it was set up to help the family can be viewed at this link.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here