Court documents reveal more than dozen shots fired in South Salt Lake nightclub fight

Stephano Tuisila (left) and Falefatu Fatiau. Photos: Salt Lake County; Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner
  • For an updated story, click here.

SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah, Nov. 12, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Court documents have revealed new details about a fist fight turned gunfight that sent patrons fleeing from a South Salt Lake nightclub early Sunday morning.

The two men who were taken into custody by police — 27-year-old Falefatu Fatiau and 22-year-old Stephano Tuisila — each have been booked on 19 counts of “felony discharge of a firearm.”

Fatiau also faces one count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person and one of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, each a second-degree felony.

Tuisila is also charged with one count of aggravated assault, also a second-degree felony.

Police say the men fired into a crowd of people in the parking lot of Scallywags night club, 3040 State St., at about 1 a.m. Sunday.

A woman in the crowd was transported to the hospital in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds. She was reported to be in stable condition later Sunday.

“One patron involved in the fist fight is in the hospital,” Gary Keller, South Salt Lake Police Department spokesman, told Gephardt Daily at the scene. “He has some serious injuries.”

Scallywags’ security staff escorted those who participated in the fist fight out of the building. Keller said that once the offending patrons were out in the parking lot, a glass was thrown and another fight erupted.

That’s when, police say, Fatiau and Tuisila went to their vehicle and took out a “handgun and an assault rifle” and started shooting into the crowd.

Officers were able to stop the vehicle as the suspects attempted to leave the parking lot.

SSLPD Officer Joseph Sutera filed Fatiau’s probable cause statement:

“Arrestee exited the bar along with a group of his friends and obtained firearms,” the statement says. “Arrestee fired 11 rounds from a .223 rifle while two other associates fired eight additional rounds towards multiple individuals. A female victim was struck three times causing serious bodily injury. Arrestee admitted to firing the rifle post-Miranda. Arrestee’s actions were captured on video surveillance.”

SSLPD Officer Tanner Dyke Nelsen filed Tuisila’s statement:

“Arrestee was involved in a bar fight at Skallywag’s Bar,” Tuisila’s probable cause statement says. “Arrestee exited the bar along with a group of his friends and obtained firearms. Arrestee admitted to firing a handgun post-Miranda. Arrestee admitted to firing one round from a handgun while two other associates fired 18 additional rounds towards multiple individuals.”

South Salt Lake Police have not released the names of any additional people facing charges in the case.

Fatiau and Tuisila are being held on $225,000 and $250,000 bail, respectively.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here