SANDY, Utah, Dec. 14, 2015 (Gephardt Daily) — Johanna’s Restaurant, a longtime fixture on South State Street in Sandy, was destroyed Monday in an early morning gas explosion.
According to a spokesman for Sandy Fire Department, the building was nearly flattened shortly after midnight when a powerful blast ripped through the building at 9725 S. State St.
Witnesses told Gephardt Daily the explosion shook nearby businesses as flames shot from the building’s shattered windows.
Debris from the blast was found a mile away.
No one was injured in the explosion, but South State Street had to be closed until the site of the gas leak could be reached and repaired.
Fire investigators say it will be hours before traffic returns to normal.