No injuries in fire at Holladay Apollo Burger

Crews responded to a commercial structure fire at Apollo Burger, 2254 E. Murray-Holladay Road in Holladay on Friday night, April 20, 2018. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

HOLLADAY, Utah, April 20, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Crews responded to a commercial structure fire at Apollo Burger on Friday night, after a fire in the grill area ignited some grease.

Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief Duane Woolsey said the call came in as a structure fire alarm, which “gets more apparatus over here.”

Upon arrival at 2254 E. Murray-Holladay Road, crews saw fire coming out of the back of the building.

Initially, they attacked the blaze through the drive-thru window, Woolsey said. Once the flames were knocked down, firefighters made entry through the front door and continued to put the fire out. They then ventilated the smoke.

Woolsey said the business was open and had customers, but everyone had evacuated and there were no injures.

One person suffered smoke inhalation, he said, and that person — he wasn’t sure if it was a customer or an employee — was treated and released at the scene.

When asked if the building has a fire suppression system, Woolsey said, “All of these buildings have a suppression system.”

No estimate of damages was available.

Woolsey said most of the damage was in the grease trap in the kitchen area.

The fire was knocked down within 15 minutes, he said, and was extinguished within about 25 minutes.

He said it was a single-alarm fire, but because it was in a commercial structure, “we had an additional truck and an additional battalion chief.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here