Officials investigate fire in locked kitchen at Provo rehab center

File Image: Gephardt Daily

PROVO, Utah, Dec. 9, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — The Provo Fire Department responded to an alarm at a rehabilitation center at about 12:04 a.m. Monday and arrived to find an unusual situation.

Provo Fire Battalion Chief Debbie Honeycutt said the alarm went off at Ardu Recovery Center, at 1053 W. 1020 South.

While the fire crews were driving out to the center, the call was cancelled because no one at Ardu saw any smoke and assumed it must be a false alarm.

The engine continued to the scene, though, in order to do a report, and when crews arrived, some smoke was visible.

Other Stories of Interest:  Man burned in Murray motorhome fire dies of injuries

“Once they got inside, they found that the kitchen had a chair with smoldering clothes on it,” Honeycutt told Gephardt Daily.

She said the only damage was to the chair and the clothes, and a minor amount of smoke damage. No injuries were reported.

Honeycutt said the kitchen area was locked and no one was known to have been in there.

“It could be something innocuous, like oily rags, but right now we don’t know” Honeycutt said. “The fire marshal is on scene and conducting an investigation.”

Gephardt Daily will update this story when more details become available.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here