Ogden Fire Dept.: Misused extension cord causes $60K in damages, kills 3 pets

Ogden Fire Department crews are shown in this file image. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Laura Withers

OGDEN, Utah, Aug. 9, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Nearly two dozen firefighters responded to a structure fire in Ogden on Friday morning.

The residence, at 2950 S. 1400 South, is near the intersection of Darling Street and Polk Avenue. The call came in at 5:10 a.m.

“Upon arrival, crews reported smoke and flames coming from the home,” a statement from the Ogden Fire Department says. “No occupants were in the home at the time of the fire.

“Crews made entry and extinguished the fire quickly. While the fire was being extinguished, additional crews performed a primary search and found four dogs in the home. One dog was safely rescued and, unfortunately, three dogs did not survive the fire.”

Other Stories of Interest:  Update: Clinton Fire Department releases cause of blaze that displaced 6

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

“The cause of the fire has been determined as an improper use of extension cords,” said a subsequent post on the Ogden Fire Department’s Facebook page.

“Please remember to not overload any electrical circuit. Extension cords are for temporary use only and should never be used when coiled or knotted, or not in fully extended position.”

Twenty-one firefighters from Ogden and South Ogden fire departments responded to the blaze with two ladder trucks, three engines, one paramedic rescue, one ambulance, the fire marshal and the battalion chief, the statement says. No firefighters were injured.

Image: Google Maps

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here