Police: Driver, 20, charged after fleeing Hurricane police, striking Washington City patrol cars

Teconna Renee Dyer. Photo: Washington County

HURRICANE, Utah, Oct. 5, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A 20-year-old woman has been booked into the Washington County Jail after police say she left the scene of an accident, then pulled over for police twice before again fleeing, then hitting police vehicles in another city.

Teconna Renee Dyer, 20, has been charged on suspicion of:

  • Failure to stop or respond at the command of police, a third-degree felony
  • Failure to disclose identity, a third-degree felony
  • Interference with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor
  • Accident involving property damage with knowledge of accident, a class B misdemeanor
  • Driving on a suspended or revoked license, a class C misdemeanor

The incident happened at about 2:15 p.m. Thursday, a probable cause statement says. A Hurricane Police officer was called to the scene of an accident at the Coral Canyon Texaco.

“I arrived and observed two pickups parked near the gas pumps,” the officer’s statement says. “As I was speaking with one of the parties involved. I observed a silver pickup begin to drive away from the parking lot. The male I was speaking with stated that was the other vehicle involved in the accident and they were leaving.

“The driver of the vehicle (truck) then exited the parking lot heading towards the on ramp to State Street,” the probable cause statement says. “I initiated my siren as well and the truck initially pulled over to the shoulder. I exited my patrol truck to make contact with the driver and she drove off towards the exit 16 on ramp to Southbound I-15.”

The officer again initiated the siren, and the driver, later identified as Dyer, again pulled over.

I again exited my truck and approached,” the probable cause statement says. “The driver then again drove away southbound on I-15.”

The officer noted the traffic was heavy, and stopped the pursuit for the safety of the public, the statement says. Soon after, Washington City police radioed they had the suspect stopped on Washington Parkway.

“I arrived and observed the same truck I was pursuing was stopped and had crashed into two of their patrol vehicles,” the probable cause statement says. “The female refused multiple commands by officers to exit the vehicle after being stopped. She did eventually roll down the driver’s side window but would not exit the vehicle after being asked to multiple times by officers.”

The woman was “assisted to the ground before being handcuffed by myself,” the statement says.

Dyer was placed in the back of a patrol car and repeatedly refused to identify herself, the statement says. Officers found her birth certificate in the truck, and learned she was from Nevada, where her driver license had been suspended.

Dyer also was out on bail while awaiting trial on a previous felony charge, the statement says. Her bail has been set at $5,000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here