Roy woman arrested after allegedly swallowing syringe cap of heroin

Elise Mae Carapia. Photo Courtesy: Weber County Jail

ROY, Utah, March 13, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A Roy woman was arrested after she allegedly swallowed a syringe cap of heroin “because she didn’t want a record.”

A probable cause statement from the 2nd District Court of Ogden said Elise Mae Carapia, 27, is facing charges of:

Obstruction of justice, a third-degree felony

  • Altering/destroying/concealing/removing item to impair proceeding/investigation, a class A misdemeanor
  • Possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor
  • Use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor
  • Unsafe emergence from an alley/driveway, an infraction

The arresting officer wrote in the probable cause statement that Tuesday just before 11:40 p.m., he observed a vehicle exit the Royal Inn at 5223 S. 1900 West in Roy and pull out of the business without stopping prior to the sidewalk. A traffic stop was conducted on the vehicle at 5291 S. 1900 West.

“I made contact with the driver who identified herself as Elise Carapia. While explaining the reason for the stop I observed in a compartment by steering wheel a syringe cap full of a brown substance that I believed to be heroin,” the statement said.

“I went back to my patrol vehicle to conduct a records check on Elise and when I returned to the vehicle the syringe cap was no longer in the compartment.”

The officer then asked Carapia where the cap was and she said she had swallowed it and the substance was heroin, the statement said.

“Due to the plain view of the substance and Elise admitting the substance was heroin the vehicle was searched,” the statement said. “During the search more heroin was located, along with syringes and empty plastic bags.”

Carapia was read her Miranda rights, and she then “admitted that she had swallowed the cap full of heroin intentionally because she didn’t want a record and also admitted to the heroin and paraphernalia located in the car as being hers.”

The suspect was then transported to Weber County Jail, with her bail set at $11,000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here