Salt Lake man allegedly rear-ends car, runs over driver, steals phone

File photo: Pixabay/ Ashby C. Sorensen

SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah, June 26, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A Salt Lake County man is being held without bail after he allegedly rear-ended a car, ran over the driver, then stole the victim’s phone.

A probable cause statement from the 3rd District Court of Salt Lake County said Thiap Ngor Kuany Ngor, 21, was arrested Monday and is facing charges of aggravated robbery, a second-degree felony; failure to remain at the scene of an accident — damage only, a class B misdemeanor; driving on a suspended license, a class B misdemeanor; and following too close, an infraction.

The arresting officer wrote that he was dispatched to follow up on the suspect, Ngor, who had been seen in a vehicle used in a hit-and-run on June 19. When the officer arrived, he confirmed it was the vehicle involved and called for the vehicle to be impounded.

He then made contact with Ngor, and confirmed he was the alleged driver of the vehicle by looking at the pictures of the suspect provided by the victim involved, then placed Ngor under arrest, the probable cause statement said.

The arresting officer handcuffed Ngor and advised him he was under arrest. Ngor was read his Miranda rights, and declined to speak to the officer about the alleged hit-and-run.

“I made contact with the victim who advised Thiap had rear-ended their son and they respond to the scene,” the statement said. “The victim was called over by Thiap who had gotten in his vehicle and Thiap had asked the victim if he could use his cell phone. The victim walked over to the driver side of the vehicle and was handing the phone over to Thiap.”

Ngor then grabbed the victim’s arm and drove off, dragging the victim with the vehicle. Once his legs had been run over by the suspect vehicle, the victim was able to let go and Thiap took the iPhone 10, officials said.

Ngor was transported to Salt Lake County Jail, where he’s being held without bail.

The suspect was charged with aggravated assault, child abuse and threat of violence in January after he allegedly punched his teenage sister in the face and chased his brother with a knife, according to previous documents. The case was later dismissed when the alleged victims did not show up for court.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here