SALT LAKE CITY, Utah, Aug. 22, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Salt Lake City police officials are warning the public they are conducting a large-scale training exercise downtown Thursday night.
“With recent incidents occurring throughout the country, and an increased frequency of Salt Lake hosting major events, we are conducting these exercises to provide real-life scenario-based training to our first responders,” the Salt Lake City Police Department said in a news release.
Starting at approximately 6 p.m., traffic in the downtown area will be affected with the following road closures:
- West Temple will be closed from South Temple to 200 South.
- 200 South will be closed from West Temple to 200 West.
- 200 West will remain open; however, traffic will be restricted and limited.
- Drivers on 100 South are encouraged to avoid going west from Main Street.
- Large vehicles should avoid the area as there will be limited opportunities to turn around.
It is anticipated these closures and restrictions will be lifted prior to the Friday morning commute, the news release said.
“This is a large-scale training exercise that will involve multiple agencies including Salt Lake Fire, Utah Highway Patrol, Salt Lake City Emergency Management and others,” the news release said.
Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information is made available.