House Fire In Syracuse Caused By Smoldering Fireworks

Photo: Gephardt Daily

SYRACUSE, Utah, July 5, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Smoldering fireworks in a trash can led to a house fire in Syracuse that caused $100,000 of damage Monday morning, officials said.

Syracuse Fire Chief Eric Froerer said crews were dispatched just before 8 a.m. to 2873 W. 2125 South after a Boy Scout troop spotted flames at the home and alerted the family.

Froerer said used firework components were discarded in a plastic trash can next to the home Sunday night. Those components smoldered overnight and the fire ignited the next morning. Flames traveled up the side of the home and into the attic.

The family of four was able to exit the home safely thanks to the Boy Scouts. Froerer said the family will be displaced for two to three months.

He added the estimated damage to the home is approximately $100,000.

Crews from Syracuse, Clinton, North Davis, Layton and Sunset Fire Departments assisted at the scene, and 18 firefighters total battled the blaze.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here