SPANISH FORK, Utah, April 4, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A Spanish Fork man has died after a barbecue accident on Easter left him burned and on life support.
Larry Webster, 73, was grilling hamburgers for his extended family when his polyester shirt caught fire. Family members were able to put out the fire within a minute or two, but Webster had suffered second- and third-degree burns over 48 percent of his body, according to relatives.
He spent nearly three days on life support at the University of Utah Hospital burn unit before he passed away Wednesday afternoon, family members said.
“Heaven gained another angel,” granddaughter Mandee Webster wrote on Facebook. “Grandpa passed away at 2:32 p.m. today. He was surrounded by his loved ones and the experience was extremely peaceful. He did not suffer.”
Webster had retired from a job teaching metal shop at Payson Junior High School, according to reports.