St. George man arrested for aggravated burglary after allegedly kicking in door of apartment

Dallin Davis. Photo Courtesy: Washington County Jail

ST. GEORGE, Utah, Oct. 13, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A St. George man is facing felony charges after he allegedly kicked in the door of an apartment during a botched burglary attempt.

A probable cause statement from the 5th District Court of St. George said Dallin William Davis, 18, is facing charges of:

  • Aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony
  • Burglary, a second-degree felony
  • Assault, a class B misdemeanor

The statement said that Oct. 5 at approximately 2:55 p.m., St. George Police officers responded to the area of 2271 E. Dinosaur Crossing, on a report of a residential burglary.

“The two 18-year-old residents of this unit informed officers that four males had kicked in their front door and gained entry into the residence,” the statement said. “They informed officers that the males wanted to steal some of their high priced belongings from their home.”

The victims identified one of the suspects as Ashton Smith, also 18. Officers observed damage to the apartment’s door frame during their initial investigation, the statement said.

While being interviewed by detectives, the victims said Smith and another male, later identified as Dallin Davis, came to their apartment to hang out on the evening of Oct. 4. At some point in the evening, Davis physically assaulted the male victim in the kitchen of the residence. A physical fight ensued, which resulted in the victims getting an air soft gun for protection.

“Ashton and Dallin ran out of the unit sometime after the male victim shot Dallin twice with the air soft gun,” the statement said. “A short time later, Ashton and Dallin returned to the apartment with two more unknown males. According to the victims, the four males attempted to gain access into the residence by kicking the door. The male victim looked through the peep hole in the door and saw Dallin holding a firearm in one of his hands. The male victim told the males he was calling the police, which resulted in all of the suspects leaving.”

When the same four suspects returned to the apartment on Oct. 5, shortly before 3 p.m., they knocked on the door a couple of times, but the victims didn’t answer the door, the statement said. The victims looked through the peep hole of the door and saw the suspects. The victims attempted to barricade their door with household boxes and belongings.

“As they were trying to barricade the door, the suspect males kicked in the door and gained access into the residence,” the statement said. “The male victim went toward the males and pointed his air soft gun at them. The male suspects, upon seeing the air soft gun, ran out of the apartment. The victims then called the police.”

On the evening of Oct. 5, Smith was located and questioned concerning these incidents. Smith admitted he and Davis were at the victims’ apartment on the evening of Oct. 4. Smith said Davis punched the male victim while they were in the kitchen of the residence, but claimed he didn’t know why. He provided details of a physical struggle and that the male victim presented an air soft gun.

“Ashton said the male victim shot Dallin with the air soft gun, who was allegedly struck by a couple of BB pellets,” the statement said. “Ashton admitted he and Dallin returned to the apartment with two other males to confront the male victim. Ashton said Dallin and the other males wanted to assault the male victim for shooting Dallin. Ashton claimed he didn’t have knowledge of anyone in his group having a firearm. He claimed they did not make contact with the victims upon returning to the apartment.”

Smith said when the same group of males returned to the victims’ apartment on Oct. 5, Davis and another male kicked the door in and that all of them made entry into the victims’ home.

Smith has been charged with:

  • Aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony
  • Burglary, a second-degree felony
  • Damage/interruption of a communication device, a class B misdemeanor

Davis declined to provide a statement to law enforcement concerning the incidents. He was arrested on Oct. 11 and transported to the Washington County Jail, with his bail set at $30,000. The felonies were committed while Davis was on probation or parole.

The probable cause statement does not say if the other two suspects have yet been arrested.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here