St. George man dies after falling 60 feet while rock climbing in Washington County

File photo: Gephardt Daily

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Utah, May 24, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A St. George man suffered fatal injuries after he fell approximately 60 feet on Wednesday while rock climbing in Washington County.

The deceased was identified as 63-year-old Fiorenzo Marino Antognini of St. George, said a news release from Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

“Antognini was reported to be an avid outdoorsman with over 25 years experience in rock climbing, rappelling and base jumping,” the news release said.

The news release stated dispatch received a request for Search and Rescue at the Lone Pine Arch Trail in Washington County just before 4:45 p.m. Wednesday. The remote location is nearest to the small town of Motoqua on the west side of Washington County, the news release said.

The caller reported a man, later identified as Antognini, had fallen while rock climbing in the area. The caller indicated a helicopter would be needed to extract the patient.

Volunteers from the Washington County Search and Rescue initially responded with WCSO deputies, Santa Clara-Ivins EMS and an Intermountain Medical Center LifeFlight crew.

“LifeFlight medics were the first on scene, but reported they did not have hoist capabilities to lift the patient,” the news release said. “They reported they would land in the area and attempt to provide treatment to the patient.”

Knowing a helicopter with hoist capabilities would be critical to patient care, a request was made to the adjacent Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter to assist with extracting the patient.

“As medical personnel arrived on scene, they relieved a friend of the victim who was already providing medical treatment under the direction of a dispatcher,” the news release said.

“Unfortunately, the man succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased on scene.”

The victim was extracted with the assistance of a Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter with a hoist.

The cause of death is currently under investigation by detectives with the WCSO. Detectives do not suspect foul play, and the body has been sent to the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner for further investigation.

Detectives hope to determine if there was possibly a medical condition which may have contributed to the fall, the news release said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here