Suspect in Provo chase, shootout wanted in Colorado shooting, officials say

Arturo Gallemore-Jiminez was taken into custody after officials say he fired on police during a high-speed chase on I-15 on Dec. 20, 2017. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

PROVO, Utah, Dec. 22, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — A suspect in custody after the officer-involved shooting Wednesday night in Provo is also a person of interest in a Colorado case.

The Aurora (Colo.) Police Department has confirmed that Arturo Ray Gallemore-Jimenez, 37, is wanted in connection with a shooting in the early hours of Tuesday. A man was found shot in a residential neighborhood. The victim is expected to survive, according to information from the department.

On Wednesday night in Provo, multiple agencies responded to the scene of the officer-involved shooting.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon, from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, told Gephardt Daily that Wednesday’s chase and shootout began at about 6 p.m. in the parking lot of a Nephi gas station.

Witnesses told police a man — later identifed as Gallemore-Jimenez — had been asking patrons for gas money and became angry after locking his keys inside his truck.

They said Gallemore-Jimenez then pulled a weapon and shot out the windows of his own vehicle in order to gain access.

He drove north on Interstate 15, where Utah County sheriff’s deputies joined state troopers in an attempted traffic stop. Cannon said the suspect shot at the officers, who then returned fire.

The chase came to an end several miles later when there was another exchange of gunfire on northbound I-15 near Provo’s Center Street exit.

Gallemore-Jimenez lost control of his bullet-riddled truck and crashed into a traffic divider. When police reached him they realized he was wearing body armor.

He was taken by ambulance to a Provo area hospital with multiple gunshot wounds. He is still being treated, and charges had not been filed as of Friday.

Another man, who was driving on I-15 with a child in his car, was also shot and wounded. The child was unharmed.

None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here