18-year-old shooting suspect taken into custody after SWAT standoff in Murray

Micah Mackley, 18, of Murray, was arrested by Unified Police Department at approximately 3:30 a.m. Photo Courtesy: Salt Lake County

MILLCREEK, Utah, Dec. 7, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Police arrested a suspect in two drive-by shootings early Wednesday morning after a SWAT standoff at a home in Murray.

Micah Mackley, 18, of Murray, was arrested by Unified Police Department at approximately 3:30 a.m.

According to the probable cause statement, the first drive-by incident began about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday in the area of 1000 E. Millcreek Way. UPD officers were dispatched on the shots-fired call.

Two men told officers they were inside the residence when they heard three loud bangs, something hitting the house, and glass shattering. Officers checked the residence and found three places where pellets from a shotgun had struck, causing damage to the exterior and to a sliding glass door.

The men told officers there was an ongoing feud with a former friend, Mackley, over a past girlfriend, and that he had made threats.

Investigators from UPD Violent Crimes Unit responded and conducted interviews with the men and other witnesses.

During this investigation, police received a second report of a drive-by shooting in the area of 4250 S. 1650 East. The location was a residence where pellets from a shotgun had struck the house twice, hitting the front door and top right of the building.

A witness reported seeing a car matching the description of the one used in the earlier drive-by in which Mackley was the suspect. The witness also reported hearing two loud bangs and seeing two flashes coming from the driver’s side.

It is not yet known what connection Mackley may have with this second location.

Detectives waiting for Mackley at his residence in the area of 830 E. 4315 South then observed a vehicle matching the description of the suspect’s enter the neighborhood at a high rate of speed.

Mackley then entered his residence. After several attempts were made to communicate with him, the UPD Major Investigations Unit and SWAT teams responded, and a search warrant was executed.

SWAT team members entered the house at approximately 3:30 a.m. and found Mackley asleep in the basement. He was taken into custody without incident.

Charges against Mackley are pending.

Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information becomes available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here