Taylorsville man arrested after 7-month-old girl suffers severe injuries

David Mora. Photo Courtesy: Salt Lake County

SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah, March 12, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A man has been arrested for second-degree felony child abuse after his girlfriend’s 7-month-old daughter was found with a skull fracture, abdominal injuries and several contusions after being left in his care.

A probable cause statement from the 3rd District Court of Salt Lake County said David Mora, 20, is also facing a charge of class B misdemeanor damaging/interrupting a communication device. Mora was transported to Salt Lake County Jail with his bail set at $25,000.

On March 5, officers of the Unified Police Department and EMS responded to an address in  Taylorsville City on a report of an infant who had bruising to her head. The little girl was also reported to have an altered mental status.

“Upon arrival UPD officers found the child with various contusions on her body that appeared to be not accidental trauma,” the statement said. “The child was in the care of paramedics and was transported to Primary Children’s Medical Center.” The mother of the child was present at the residence, the statement said.

UPD detectives responded to the hospital and conducted an interview with the child’s mother. The mother said she left for work on this date at 4 a.m., and the baby was left in the care of Mora, the mother’s boyfriend. Also in his care that day was the 2-year-old son of Mora and the mother.

When the mother returned from work around 4 p.m., she found the little girl lying on the floor with Mora, who was sleeping, the statement said. The mother noticed bruising to the face and head of the little girl. The mother said she woke Mora with screaming as she was concerned for the little girl. The mother said the girl was hard to wake up and would not cry. Mora denied knowledge of what had occurred and said he had been drinking alcohol.

The mother told officials she started to call 911, but Mora told her not to make the call and took her phone and hung up. She was able to get the phone back from Mora as dispatchers returned her disconnected 911 call. She then spoke to a dispatcher and requested medical assistance for the little girl.

The little girl was found to have a skull fracture, abdominal injuries, and several contusions. Mora was located and arrested, the probable cause statement said. After being read his Miranda rights, Mora said he was drunk at the time of the incident. Mora said “he probably caused the injuries but could not remember.”

The felony was committed while Mora was out on probation or parole.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here